The Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE) is an online exam that is administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) in the United States. The FE is offered monthly at any Pearson Vue testing location that offers exams. Each candidate is permitted up to three attempts to successfully pass the FE. After three unsuccessful attempts, a reassessment by the Board of Examiners is required.
The Board of Examiners (BOE) of Engineers Nova Scotia reviews academic qualifications of applicants applying for registration with Engineers Nova Scotia to determine the level and quality of academic training. If academic qualifications need to be confirmed, National Technical Exams (NTE), the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE), or a combination of the two categories of exams may be assigned. Applicants will receive a decision letter with information that is specific to their application and next steps once their assessment is complete. It is important that applicants follow the steps provided in their decision letter because each assigned exam program is specific to each applicant.
Before registering for the FE:
- Review the NCEES Examinee Guide for information on exam policies and procedures.
- Review the FE Exam website for available disciplines and study guides.
Registering for the FE:
- Once an applicant has received confirmation that they are eligible to take the FE, the Application to Write Form must be completed and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants will need to set up a My NCEES account through the Engineers Nova Scotia link on the NCEES website.
- Selecting Nova Scotia ensures FE results are sent to Engineers Nova Scotia
Cancelling and Rescheduling the FE:
- Engineers Nova Scotia staff cannot assist with cancelling, refunding, or rescheduling the FE. These inquiries must be handled by NCEES.
- Cancelling and/or rescheduling for the FE must be done through the My NCEES account that was created prior to registration. A $50 administrative fee may apply for changes.
- Note: A Pearson VUE may charge an additional fee for rescheduling.
- Application to Write Form - PDF