Sep 16, 2019 - Nov 12, 2019
Discover the 10 guidelines in Engineers Canada's National Guide to Sustainable Development and Environmental Stewardship .
This course is a joint project of Engineers Canada (IC) and Polytechnique Montréal. It will provide real-life case studies to illustrate the application of the 10 National Guidelines for Sustainable Development and Environmental Stewardship for Engineers (2016). It will also give engineers the tools to implement these guidelines in their professional practice.
This course is designed for anyone practicing engineering in Canada, regardless of their discipline or role, whether as an employee, employer, researcher, academic, ) of the regulation or manager. No prerequisites are required to take this course.
Module 1: Sustainable Development, Environmental Stewardship and Engineering
Introduction to the notions of sustainable development (SD) and environmental stewardship (GE). Environmental, social and economic challenges of SD. Overview of the 10 guidelines in the IC Guide.
Module 2: Improving Skills: Tools for Engineers
Three case studies that highlight the importance of sustainable development and environmental stewardship, and illustrate the Guide's guidelines in practice. Tools and resources: social impact assessment, GRI, life cycle analysis, environmental impact assessment, laws and regulations.
Module 3: Planning and Managing Risk in a Changing World
Three case studies that highlight the importance of sustainable development and environmental stewardship, and illustrate the Guide's guidelines in practice. Tools and Resources: Risk Assessment and Mitigation, Biodiversity Indicators, Adaptation and Mitigation of Climate Change.
Module 4: The National Guide: 10 Guidelines for Integrating SD and GE into Engineering Practice
Revised the 10 guidelines in the Guide, with feedback on the importance of their implementation in the case studies presented previously. Summary matrix and additional material.
The course requires about two hours of work per week. These are the hours necessary to consult the teaching materials, complete the activities and participate in debates and exchanges.
Process and evaluation
The course will run over a period of four (4) weeks, one module per week.
For each module, you will generally have access to:
- A video capsule introducing the module;
- A series of video capsules presenting concepts or guidelines addressed by the module;
- Links to external resources, for those who wish to delve deeper into certain concepts covered in the course but whose knowledge and mastery are not included in the course's educational objectives;
- An evaluation.
Modules 1, 2 and 3 end with a test of about ten questions. These tests account for a total of 30% of the course evaluation. Module 4 ends with the final exam, which accounts for the other 70% of the assessment.
The modules will become available on the course website according to the schedule below. You are free to take the course at your own pace, as long as you respect the deadlines at the bottom of the table for assessments and application for certification.
|Module / Section||Available on the||Evaluation|
|Before you start||October 16, 2019||n / a|
|Module 1||October 16, 2019||Test 1|
|Module 2||October 23, 2019||Test 2|
|Module 3||October 30, 2019||Test 3|
|Module 4||November 6, 2019||Final exam|
Deadline to submit ALL ratings: December 13, 2019 , 23:00 UTC (6 pm EST)
Deadline to apply for certification: December 6, 2019 , 21:00 UTC (4:00 pm EST)
At the end of the course, participants who have achieved the 65% passing mark will be able to download a certificate of successful completion from the EDUlib site for a fee of $ 75. Note that there are no academic credits associated with this certification.