Technical Lead (Research and Development) Engineer
EfficiencyOne isn’t just an organization; it’s a movement. Our organization’s purpose is “Helping people build a better world through energy efficiency.” We come to work every day because we want a better world, and we believe we can contribute to a more prosperous, sustainable future through efficiency.
About the Organization
Ranked number one in Canada for energy efficiency programs and a multi-year winner of Canada’s greenest employers, we have worked with hundreds of thousands of families, businesses, non-profits, and institutions to transform the way they use and save energy.
We are incredibly proud of our achievements and know one of the driving forces behind our success is our people, our values, and the behaviors we commit to every day as part of our culture. Our culture is about acting quickly and positively, taking care to understand others’ needs, and providing timely responses. It’s about doing the right thing and working with the greater organization in mind. It’s striving for simplicity while keeping our customers top of mind in everything we do and in every decision we make. It’s about setting challenging goals and working with each other to deliver our best work. We are respectful in everything we do and support and value others by fostering an environment where every voice is appreciated. It’s about building collaborative relationships based on trust and open communication.
Currently, we are seeking a Research and Development (R&D) Technical Lead who will lead or support various initiatives ranging from program and pilot development to the provision of technical support and training to departments throughout the organization. The R&D Technical Lead should have broad familiarity with Demand Side Management programs and measures, including experience in program administration, operations, and measurement and verification (M&V). The assignments will comprise projects with rigid and well-defined processes, e.g., evaluating new measures per established methods and criteria; it will also include new, innovative projects with yet-to-be-defined processes and procedures, e.g., developing a new program or delivery model.
- Develop and maintain technical expertise in established and emerging engineering topics such as building science; deep energy efficiency retrofits; PassivHaus; net-zero; codes and standards; energy efficiency; energy conservation; demand response; distributed energy resources; beneficial electrification; time-varying electricity pricing; and others as required.
- Collaborate with the information and analytics team to leverage EfficiencyOne’s available data, analytics capabilities, and related tools.
- Implement strategies for increasing adoption in the Nova Scotia market of energy-efficient technologies/practices and altered patterns of energy use that benefit the electricity system.
- Provide subject matter expertise and support to EfficiencyOne employees, departments, and subsidiaries. including, but not limited to:
- collaborate with the Portfolio Engineering team, particularly on the new measure addition process and Customer Information System integration.
- technical advice on emerging and existing technologies, program delivery frameworks, and algorithms used in claiming savings.
- support the Service Delivery team during impact evaluations and verifications, which could include technology research, technical analysis, discussions with the evaluators and verifier’s staff, and reviewing and commenting on technical aspects of evaluator and verifier reports.
- collaborate with other Engineering team members and departments to exchange expertise and build technical knowledge; and
- assist in developing and delivering opportunities for the organization in new markets.
- Support projects and develop skills and knowledge in Codes and standards and remote and virtual audits.
- Perform any other duties as required from time to time.
- A community college or university diploma/certificate in a relevant technical field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Other relevant professional certifications such as Certified Energy Manager, Certified Measurement and Verification professional would be considered an asset.
- Industry/technical knowledge and aptitude related to energy efficiency measures including Demand Side Management program administration, operations, and measurement & verification.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant engineering experience and familiarity with codes and standards, particularly National Building Code (NBC) and National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) along with experience developing programs and pilots would be considered an asset.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams)
- Strong interpersonal skills and superior time management skills, along with exceptional written and oral communication abilities.
- Flexible and have above average attention to detail combined with the ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
What we Offer:
- Competitive compensation and benefits package (Entry into our benefit and defined contribution plan on the first day of employment)
- Excellent employment practices, including:
- Engaging, fun and respectful work climate
- Flexible work schedules
- Wellness Initiatives
- Corporate gym memberships
- Commitment to employee development and “promote from within.”
- Opportunity to make a significant personal impact to help EfficiencyOne build a better world and contribute to a more prosperous, sustainable future through efficiency.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the team and learn what R&D technical lead and the broader Engineering & Planning team does.
- Learn about current and planned 2021 projects.
- Learn about communications and organizational tools and structure, e.g., Teams and SharePoint sites, R-drive, etc.
In the first month, expect to:
- The Engineering & Planning team is a new group at EfficiencyOne. Your first month will also be the team’s first month and will include contributing to a workplan for 2021.
- Clearly understand various roles and responsibilities related to the R&D work (support for Regulatory Affairs, Engineering & Planning team support, Services support)
- Build a foundational understanding of core R&D 2021 initiatives and responsibilities, including:
- Deep retrofits
- Codes and standards
- Virtual and remote audits
- RIPP (research, innovation, and program planning process)
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop strategies to address the above topics, including writing and presenting technical materials.
- Facilitate the movement of new measure and programs through the RIPP process.
- Provide ad-hoc support to various teams throughout EfficiencyOne, including support for 23-25 DSM plan development.
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter, clearly articulating how you meet the above-noted qualifications. Applications can be submitted in confidence to Nicole Durdle at the link below:
EfficiencyOne is committed to fostering a culture that is supportive and values others, one that is grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Indigenous peoples, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, persons of minority sexual orientations, and gender identities.