The current focus of this position is for arranging, coordinating and overseeing specialist resources required to support the planning, design and construction of capital works projects. The Junior Project Engineer is accountable for work in their assigned service area and reports directly to the Manager, Capital Projects, and is responsible for the design of water and wastewater facilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Works in collaboration with senior engineers in engineering planning and design work. Provides professional certification of work within field of expertise including signing and sealing related design drawings and as-constructed drawings.
- Provides professional and technical expertise, guidance and direction to technicians and staff including acting as project lead as assigned.
- Develops, implements and oversees project related scope of work, schedules and budgets.
- Provides project management skills to deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Designs, evaluates, and implements a variety of wastewater systems and facilities.
- Prepares and reviews contract specifications, detailed cost estimates, requests for proposals, and tender documents.
- Receives, evaluates and recommends acceptance or rejection of tenders.
- Prepares conceptual design including production of contract documents, tender process, construction and start-up of project through to project completion.
- Provides assistance, direction and clarification of contract intent to internal/external stakeholders.
- Provides contract oversight and administration including overseeing, directing, liaising and negotiating with contractor and/ or consultants.
- Reviews system operations and forecasts potential improvements prior to their need.
- Prepares written technical engineering submissions that can be understood by internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures current standards are adhered to for design, construction and operational matters.
- Deals with enquiries and complaints from the public and commissions.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Civil Engineering Degree and 6 years of relevant experience specific to complex wastewater and water facilities, and the design of facilities that collect, treat and dispose of the wastewater.
- Membership or eligible for membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Detailed knowledge and demonstrated experience in wastewater system design, including knowledge of process and treatment plant design.
- A thorough knowledge of standards, materials, methods of construction and design, contract administration and engineering operations.
- Demonstrated experience with project management and project oversight working with complex and diverse initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience with contract management including providing direction and oversight while ensuring standards and expectations are met.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases.
- Excellent presentation skills with demonstrated ability to communicate complex, technical information to non-technical and technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge and understanding of WorkSafeBC practices/protocols, Workers’ Compensation Act and OH&S Regulations and other relevant safety statutes.
- Knowledge of federal/provincial/municipal regulations, legislation, codes, standards and guidelines related to wastewater and water.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence.
Please note that candidates with lessor qualifications may be considered and the CRD encourages all interested applicants to apply.
Please note: This position is currently being reviewed as referenced in Article 27.01 of the CRD/CUPE Local 1978 Agreement.
To keep our employees, customers and the communities we serve safe, the CRD has introduced an employee mandatory vaccination policy intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. As such, the CRD requires proof of being fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.