Project Engineer – R.J. MacIsaac Construction Limited (RJMI)
Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia
R.J. MacIsaac Construction Limited (RJMI) is seeking an experienced, proactive Project Engineer to join their growing team. We are looking for an accountable candidate to be responsible for all engineering and technical disciplines that projects involve.
RJMI is an innovative marine contractor specializing in marine construction, demolition, installation and repair projects for over 40 years. RJMI has delivered numerous commercial and industrial projects in Atlantic Canada including ship deconstruction and disposal, marine and land based dredging, marine and land-based breakwater construction, marine asset demolition, timber cribwork wharfs, floating docks, timber and steel piles, steel sheet pile installation, underwater concreting, tug, barge and scow work, sub-sea pipelines and power cable installation, and drilling and blasting underwater. Most recently, they have been selected to lead the green recycling of the Deep Panuke offshore platform at their facilities in Sheet Harbour.
The Project Engineer must be able to work independently and as part of a team on projects of varying complexity to foster efficient, successful project execution resulting in on-time and on budget delivery with overall client satisfaction. You will be responsible for technical project aspects including: scheduling, planning, forecasting and resourcing aiming at ensuring project accuracy and quality from conception to completion. You will possess a technical aptitude and expertise and will work collaboratively as part of the team by sharing their knowledge and expertise while working alongside the other employees.
The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out engineering initiatives to ensure the smooth and efficient operations of all projects and the company. Examples of specific duties include (but are not limited to):
- Overseeing all engineering processes in construction projects and provide subject matter expertise
- Developing construction specifications and procedures
- Taking an active role in assessing opportunities and responding to RFP’s and leading technical and financial proposals
- Preparing and revising documents through all project phases including plans, sections, diagrams, details, electronic models, specifications, tender documents and cost estimate
- Ensuring construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of relevant standards and other regulations
- Reviewing technical designs and drawings to ensure that they are followed correctly on site
- Evaluating projects and recommend various cost savings methods
- Anticipating and resolving problems encountered in the field to eliminate costly rework
- Contract administration, including – arranging for all required submittals for review, preparation of RFIs, contemplated change orders, progress payment certificates,
- Maintaining knowledge on all contract terms and legal requirements for all construction projects to avoid any delay in projects
- Providing support to all work groups and participate in various actively to ensure the safe and timely completion for all projects
- Coordinating with clients to ensure proposed construction and work methods are clearly understood and accepted and ensure agreement on environmental and safety work plans for permitting
- Working knowledge of various technical specifications, including civil and structural engineering principals,
- Coordination of sub-trades
- Reporting and liaison with clients/owners
- Using a range of computer software
- Reviewing work performance and providing project status updates
- Assessing potential risks, materials and costs
- Overseeing and mentor staff and liaise with a variety of stakeholders
- Complying with guidelines and regulations including permits, safety etc. and deliver technical files and other technical documentation as required
- Adhering to all company policies, procedures and business ethics
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in progressively advancing project engineering, management experience or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Registered member of Engineers NS or the ability to obtain a Professional Engineer designation (P.Eng) in Nova Scotia.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment.
- Strong track record of successfully completed projects in the construction industry
Success in this role requires an experienced individual who can perform the technical, and organizational role on all projects. The selected candidate will have strong problem-solving and organizational skills with the ability to adapt effectively to new situations and changing environment. You must have strong communication and technical skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors and other employees.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit their resume along with a covering letter via email at Hr@rjmacisaac.ca citing “R.J. MacIsaac Construction Limited (RJMI) – Project Engineer” in the subject line.
We appreciate all expressed interest in this position; however, only the candidates selected for interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
We value diversity and what it brings to our teams and overall client experiences. We believe Indigenous communities are important partners; and are committed to enhancing relationships with Indigenous Peoples and communities. We’re committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and those we serve. We are actively recruiting individuals who self-identify as an Indigenous person to join our team. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals