Electrical Engineer/Fire Investigator – Nova Scotia
EFI Global is a full-service engineering, fire investigation, environmental, health and safety, and specialty consulting services firm serving a variety of industries in both the public and private sectors. Over the last four decades, we have grown from a boutique firm specializing in handling insurance fraud and arson cases and providing expert witness testimony, into a recognized global leader in engineering failure analysis, origin-and-cause investigations, environmental consulting, laboratory testing and specialty consulting. Our forensic investigation, engineering and environmental services teams around the world share a dedication to expertise, quality and demonstrating to customers that caring counts®. Each of our more than 700 professional engineers, fire investigators, architects and scientists were selected for their technical proficiency, in-depth industry knowledge and commitment to professional integrity. Together, our diverse backgrounds and collective insights empower clients to make better-informed business decisions. EFI’s combination of global solutions and local expertise has earned the firm a reputation for delivering timely responses that consistently meet our clients’ anywhere.
To be responsible for profitably, ethically and scientifically investigating events, systems, devices and/or failures and providing expert opinions; to provide guidance and leadership on complex engineering assignments.
- Provides guidance and leadership to newer colleagues and/or those with less experience on complex engineering assignments.
- Surveys property, casualty and liability losses, typically at residential and commercial buildings and loss scenes.
- Conducts investigations to determine the root cause of events and failures.
- Works closely with engineers and investigators to produce detailed reports, drawings, and/or outline the cause and origin of losses and damages.
- Develops plans, reports and drawings to meet client’s needs and/or determine and document the failure analysis and causation of failures.
- Provides expert testimony in a court of law and/or in depositions.
- Determines applicable engineering practices to fulfill the prescribed scope of work, project specifics, timelines, and cost estimates for the professional services provided.
- Documents and maintains billable hours on a time and expense basis for failure analysis and engineering projects for clients.
- Collaborates with sales and operations managers, architects, developers, insurance adjusters, claims managers and attorneys to develop demand for your professional services.
- Collaborates with EFI Global’ s national team of forensic experts to leverage experiences and assist on projects.
- Follows industry acceptable methodology for performance of services.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with clients, colleagues, subcontractors and prospects.
- Complies with Company’s Safety Programs/Standards
- Properly utilizes Personal Protection Equipment
- Exercises appropriate use, care, and maintenance of equipment (company owned or leased)
- Complies with company standards and best practices regarding the storage of equipment
- Meets or exceeds productivity levels and daily time submission as determined by manager.
- Complies with all Human Resources Policies, Programs, and Initiatives
- All other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from a recognized university and a Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the province of the posted position. Candidates with a Master’s degree or PhD credentials preferred but not a prerequisite for this
Ten (10) + years of engineering experience or equivalent combination of experience and education required with a minimum of five (5) years in the forensic sciences discipline. specifically, in failure analysis and forensic engineering plus two (2) years in insurance and/or risk management services industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Analytical and interpretive skill
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Ability to meet or exceed Performance Competencies
- Travel, at least, 30-40% of the time. Can be local or across provincial boundaries.
- Exposure to all elements of the weather
- Walking, climbing, etc., as required
- Occasional lifting, up to 50 pounds, as required
- 40-60% work in field environment
We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Colleague Resources if you require accommodation.
The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a colleague assigned to this description. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions, duties, or local variances. Management retains the discretion to add or to change the duties of the position at any time.
Visit us at: https://www.efiglobal.ca/careers/
For more information please contact Sandy Cooke at 251-510-1669 or firstname.lastname@example.org