Are you someone with strong leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a thought leader, a trusted advisor and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Transportation & Facilities technical group is looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
This position is available at our Halifax office.
What your day will look like
Business Development (20%)
- Prepare estimates and project proposals
- Develop public and private sector client relationships and new business opportunities, with particular emphasis on the electrical design component of such projects including but not limited to substations, transmission lines, and Commercial/Industrial/Institutional electrical services
Project Management (20%)
- Project manage design activities related primarily to our Commercial & Industrial client segment including but not limited to electrical building systems and services, electrical distributions for substations as well as transmission lines
- Manage and lead multidisciplinary project teams (including electrical, transportation, municipal and structural engineers, transportation systems planners, planners, environmental scientists, technical support staff, etc.)
- Coordinate design team activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion
- Lead in providing quality client services, with particular emphasis on the Commercial & Industrial and renewable electrical energy market.
- Business travel to other Dillon offices upon request
- Complete assigned projects from initial concept to construction and commissioning.
- Prepare electrical designs including:
- building power, lighting, fire alarm systems and ICAT systems
- substation physical arrangement drawings
- one line diagrams and engineering studies for HV substation equipment application, including metering, protection and control
- equipment/project specifications
- design calculations such as load flow, short circuit, equipment sizing, bus support loading and grounding
- Short Circuit, Relay Coordination programs and TCC and Arc Flash Studies
- SCADA systems related to substation design
Learning & Development (3%)
- A commitment to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Input to the career development of junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- A degree in electrical engineering
- Licensed to practice as a professional engineer in Nova Scotia or eligible to be licensed within six months
- A minimum of 10 years’ of relevant work experience
- Preparation of electrical system designs
- Preparation of project specifications for material and equipment purchase and installation
- Design of electrical transmission facilities including line layout, foundations, structure configuration, structure, insulation and conductor specification
- Demonstrated abilities in the delivery of accurate and thorough designs that meet industry standards, specifications, and good engineering practices with excellent constructability
- Demonstrated success in project management and business development of Renewable Energy projects
- Proven experience in the review of internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability
- Maintaining complete project documentation with respect to design and construction, including all completion packages, as-built requirements and return data information
- Demonstrated success leading teams of technical professionals on multi-disciplinary projects
- Understanding of the electrical components of substation and transmission line design for renewable energy-related projects is an asset
- Extensive experience in electrical power and distribution design, fault protection and protective relay design for power utilities
- Proficiency providing technical leadership to a team of professionals
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.