Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: SFO MRS Compliance Mgr - Flexible location
Job Number: BCH-R-4610-210428E1
Job Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada or other Regional office
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- One of BC Hydro’s key business priorities is making improvements to achieve compliance with the NERC Mandatory Reliability Standards (MRS). To support this key business priority, Stations Field Operations is establishing a new team dedicated to achieving and sustaining compliance within the Business Group.
- This is a new P4 role and initial activities will involve organizing and setting up a focused MRS team within Stations Field Operations, while continuing to manage the portfolio of on-going MRS activities and ensure compliance. Key capabilities will include the ability to assess and address complex ideas, develop teams, establish and manage priorities and budgets, and effectively communicate progress with senior leaders and executives.
- Reports to the Director, Stations Field Operations and requires close interaction with their peers in Integrated Planning, Line Field Operations, Engineering, Compliance, IT, PCM and Project Delivery. Ensures the NERC Mandatory Reliability Standards (MRS) compliance obligations of Stations Field Operations are met or exceeded.
- Fulfills the role of Execution Delegate for Stations Field Operations in accordance with BC Hydro’s MRS Internal Compliance Program (ICP). This will include responsibility for standards that Stations Field Operations is fully accountable for, as well as ensuring that the Stations Field Operations team supports other lines of business where our expertise is required to support standards managed by other teams.
- Executes the accountabilities assigned from Governance Delegates (M4) to achieve, sustain and demonstrate compliance with the MRS standards that Stations Field Operations is responsible for.
More specifically this will include:
- Overseeing the MRS work program for Stations Field Operations, including developing tools and processes to ensure BC Hydro’s MRS compliance;
- Ensuring compliance associated with existing MRS standards;
- Guiding the development and implementation of new Mandatory Reliability Standards;
- Developing, implementing and maintaining procedures, processes, internal controls and work instructions, and the associated awareness training;
- Creating an internal Stations Field Operations MRS quality system, including audits, spot checks or other methods, to ensure continuing MRS compliance. Works with their team members to schedule quality activities, document the results and provide this information to the Governance Delegate;
- Working with the Stations Field Operations Compliance Lead to establish Station Field Operations employee training and development requirements and planning and providing for these requirements.
- Providing leadership for the 3-5 members of the Stations Field Operations MRS team;
- Implementing and sustaining MRS governance for Stations Field Operations in alignment with the overall MRS Internal Compliance Program;
- Developing the Stations Field Operations MRS work program budget and monitoring performance against the budget;
- Liaising with Governance Delegates and Executive Team member;
- Working closely with the BC Hydro MRS Assurance team, as well as senior managers in other compliance teams (Integrated Planning, Line Field Operations and IT) to ensure alignment across BC Hydro.
- Producing and maintaining documented evidence and Reliability Standards Audit Worksheets to demonstrate compliance;
- Interfacing with external organizations (e.g. WECC / BCUC) as required
- Managing potential non-compliances: o Creating quality systems
- Notifying Governance Delegate(s) and Reliability Standards & Assurance of potential non-compliance, and supporting the violation investigation process;
- Producing and maintaining evidentiary documentation associated with potential non-compliances;
- Developing and implementing mitigation plans to correct potential non-compliance as directed by Governance Delegate(s).
- Ensuring processes are in place to provide evidence to the Reliability Standards & Assurance department for centralized retention as requested;
- Participating in annual risk-based compliance assurance program;
- Supporting Governance Delegate(s) during audits and self-certifications;
- Designating a single point of contact, for specific reliability standards, within their team to manage compliance evidence; and,
- Promoting a culture of compliance within Stations Field Operations and encouraging self-reporting.
- Education in engineering, economics, science, information technology or mathematics
- 10+ years of experience in the areas of power system field operations, energy utility design, operations & maintenance, cybersecurity, or operational technology
- 5+ years of mid level management experience ideally in the management of engineering or technical professionals. Strong leadership with proven experience in partnering with senior leaders and influencing strategy at the leadership level.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of NERC Reliability Standards and regulatory activities as well as WECC and BC Hydro reporting and compliance activities
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a calm and assertive presence
- Effective presentation skills, including the ability to convey complex technical issues to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up teams and organizational design
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to prioritize work of others
Please note the role's location may be Edmonds (Burnaby) or a Regional BC Hydro Office.
This is a P4 level role.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 14, 2021.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer