Description - External
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you’ll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that’s critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing — and we’re helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that’s working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
Our Design team of professionals work together to achieve the results that have lasting success in the communities we work in. This drive to achieve supports our client’s needs in engineering, procurement, construction management (EPCM) across the energy and resources industry. Our designs can be found in critical infrastructure like processing plants, terminals, refineries, and fuel storage facilities. Through our partnerships, industry experience, and use of technology, we develop innovative ways to solve emerging issues, meet regulations, and increase productivity.
We are currently seeking an Electrical Engineer to join our Electrical, Instrumentation & Controls group in the Dartmouth, NS office.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Foster participation and compliance with company HSSE & sustainability policies and procedures
- Coordinate staff utilization, availability and resourcing within the team, requesting assistance from Leadership as appropriate.
- Independently complete electrical design tasks and provide guidance to junior engineers
- Build relationships with clients, field operators, and other technical disciplines.
- Advocate for initiatives that improve EIC discipline performance and quality of work
- Design collaboration with other engineering disciplines for timely project completions
- Contribute to technical project work within your area of expertise (e.g., engineering, design, independent reviews). Majority of time will be used for concept development and detailed engineering design.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group
- Provide technical leadership as project engineer on small to medium size projects
- Prepare feasibility, conceptual and detailed design of (EI&C) system in O&G, light industrial or heavy industrial environment
Qualifications - External
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Utilize electrical engineering principles and techniques to provide power, and controls engineering and design services for heavy industries and oil & gas projects
- Perform feasibility, conceptual and detailed design of electrical systems (medium and low voltages)
- Experience in the development of electrical analysis (voltage drop, short circuit, motor starting)
- Develop and review single line diagrams, hazardous area classification plans and details, grounding plans and details, lighting plans and details, cable and conduit schedules (cable, conductor sizing), control panel layouts, conduit routing, heat tracing, motor power and control schematics and field wiring.
- Travel to client facilities for the purpose of gathering field information and participating in design review meetings
- Develop data sheets for electrical equipment, cables, motor starters, and variable frequency drives.
- Apply industry codes and standards such as API (American Petroleum Institute), ANSI (American National Standards Institute.), Canadian Electrical Code, and client company standards.
- Apply industry safety regulations including IEC (International Electro-technical Commission), and NPFA (National Fire Protection Association) when conducting safety integrity studies.
- Provide electrical engineering technical support for inspection of electrical equipment and systems, and control systems by participating in Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT) and Site Acceptance Tests (SAT) / commissioning.
- Preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Develop resource plans and monitor progress against budgets and provide notification/ corrective action as needed.
- Experience with computer application programs (SKM and E-Tap) for sizing and analyzing electrical systems would be an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Available for travel within Canada for short durations 2-5 days (as required)
Education and Experience
Electrical or Instrumentation Engineering Degree with at least 10+ years professional experience
Eligible to register as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Nova Scotia
Field engineering experience is an asset
Programming and controls design experience is an asset
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
To apply online: