Senior Mechanical Engineer
Are you someone with strong leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a thought leader, a trusted advisor and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Transportation & Facilities technical group is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
This position is available at our Halifax office.
What your day will look like
Design & Project Management (87%)
- Manage mechanical engineering projects for public and private clients across the company
- Lead and direct multidisciplinary project teams
- Design and build plumbing, drainage, service piping systems, heating, ventilating and air conditioning design, and energy calculations
- Design of piping systems, ventilation and exhaust systems
Business Development (10%)
- Develop public and private sector client relationships and new business opportunities
- Business travel to other Dillon offices upon request
Learning & Development (3%)
- A commitment to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Input to the career development of junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- A degree in mechanical engineering
- Licensed to practice as a professional engineer in Nova Scotia or eligible to be licensed within six months
- A minimum of 10 years’ of relevant work experience
- Expert knowledge of building mechanical systems design codes and standards
- Strong working knowledge in building plumbing, drainage, service piping systems, heating, ventilating and air conditioning design, and energy calculations using proprietary software packages
- Experience in pumping and piping distribution systems, ventilation and exhaust systems for laboratories, machine shops, and process exhaust in commercial settings.
- Demonstrated abilities in direct digital control systems
- Development of design team leadership with the ability to create and manage design budgets, client deliverables and project schedules
- Demonstrated ability to develop proposals
- Demonstrated ability to prepare capital construction cost estimates
- Strong technical report and specification writing skills
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- We oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Goodlife Fitness Corporate Membership
- Our employees can take advantage of reduced annual membership fees.
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With 20 offices and more than 900 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 15 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
We encourage you to connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodation in the interview process.
We would love to hear from you!