Description - External
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you’ll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that’s critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing — and we’re helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that’s working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
We are currently seeking a Process Engineering Lead to join our Engineering team in the Dartmouth, NS office. The Process Lead will organize and manage the daily activities of the process engineering discipline and steward continuous improvement in quality and technical excellence. The lead will undertake conceptual and detailed process design for projects in a variety of petroleum refining, gas processing, petroleum bulk storage and distribution, heavy industrial (e.g., power plants), and industrial water treatment facilities. This role will also support business development efforts and pursue new business opportunities where practical.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Support the growth and development of the process team in Oil & Gas, heavy industrial, and industrial water processing.
- Provide leadership and direction for the proper execution of engineering deliverables for various projects, proposals, and studies.
- Establish the technical and performance standards for the project.
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines to execute work in an organized fashion, in order to complete quality work on schedule and within the allocated budget hours.
- Interact with existing and potential clients at the initiation of new projects or when pursuing potential projects.
- Work to improve existing process discipline work processes, standards, templates, and checking procedures for implementation in project execution.
- Participate in training of less experienced engineers, including duties as a mentor for career development.
- Assist in developing process engineering scope of work, work hours, and project design basis for proposals and projects.
- Review project deliverables for technical accuracy, feasibility, and compliance with governing codes and client requirements.
- Review projects for compliance with company standards with respect to deliverable checking, generation of calculations, studies, and reports, and retention of QA/QC documentation.
- Execute and review process deliverables as required, including: - Equipment sizing, process modeling, and hydraulic modelling, PFD’s, P&IDs, block flow diagrams, Heat & material balance, utility flow studies, line sizing, key instrument sizing, and participation in process hazards reviews.
- Develop process reports, and input into design basis memorandums.
- Produce sketches and provide engineering support/input to drafting.
- Provide support to specification of equipment, line lists, shutdown keys, control philosophies, etc.
- Ensure codes and standards (both legislated and customer-specific) are being met.
- Act as the Process engineer-of-record, supporting projects throughout their different stages, including preliminary design, detailed design and construction support as required.
- Contribute technically to projects; perform necessary process work as required.
Qualifications - External
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Must be familiar with process simulation, in particular, Aspen HYSYS and industry standard hydraulic assessment tools (e.g., Pipe flow or AFT products). Dynamic simulation capability an asset.
- Must be familiar with refinery, gas plant or petrochemical process operations, troubleshooting, and small project execution.
- Must have a sound knowledge of industry codes, specifications, and standards.
- Must have experience in all phases of a project, from concept selection, front end design to the detailed design phase.
- Field engineering experience is an asset.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills, working with internal project discipline and external engineering and operations staff. Must be comfortable making contact with new clients.
- Available for travel within Canada for short durations 2-5 days (as required)
Education and Experience
Eligible to register as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Nova Scotia
Obtained a B.Sc. in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering. Experience in other jurisdictions would be considered an asset.
A minimum of 8 years’ experience in Oil production/refining, Gas processing, Water treatment, or petrochemical related projects, with a minimum 4 years’ experience in a process design role in a consulting or similar environment.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
To apply online: