The Sipekne’katik Band is the 2nd largest Mi’kmaq Community in Nova Scotia. The Sipekne’katik has been growing through land acquisitions and the development of owned property. In looking forward, we are foreseeing increased growth and development, a civil engineer would be an asset to the community. This position will provide services in design projects of varying sizes and complexity. The engineer will meet with contractors, program managers, governance, community and the consultation team. This position will also review and report on current infrastructure that is owned and operated by the band.
This position will be report directly to the Director of Operations and provide detailed updates to the Sipekne’katik Governing body.
- • Oversees and manages projects. Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- • Serves as Engineer-of-Record.
- • Provides technical leadership for civil related projects.
- • Performs on technically complex projects and acts as a technical resource by providing guidance to other team members.
- • Evaluates, selects and will specify all civil engineered systems or products for a project.
- • Manages and leads others while working on projects and developing design; assigns, reviews and evaluates work for technical accuracy and completeness; advises on technical problems.
- • Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, contractor, sub-contractors and vendors.
- • Leads the preparation and coordination of project specifications with construction documents.
- • Participates in constructability reviews.
- • Conducts quality assurance and quality control.
- • Leads the development of new standards and specifications for the discipline.
- • Serves as the Project's point of contact to obtain and determine project requirements and approvals.
- • Remains current on regulatory policy and rule changes and may establish working relationships with regulatory officials.
- • Creates, updates, implements and enforces the Band’s occupational health and safety (OH&S) programs and policies to ensure adherence to legislative requirements.
- Engages in leadership in Professional organizations that aligns with expertise; writes technical papers and delivers technical presentations for governance.
- • Develops project scope, budgets, and design approaches for all size projects, and support marketing and business development professionals in positioning for potential projects, writing technical portions of proposals and supporting negotiations for project contracts.
- • Assist and/or lead the development of proposals and contract negotiation.
Education and Experience
- Civil Engineering degree
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in civil and site design
- Extensive design experience including design of water, sewer, storm water management, roads and land development and related.
- Candidates must have, or be eligible for, P.Eng. registration with APENS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability do reports and technical specifications.
- Ability to plan, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Has experience leading, organizing and supervising others.
Pleaseapplywith resume, coverletter, Criminal Check, with three references (include phone & email with each reference) to:
Human Resources Department
Human Resource Department
522 Church Street, Indian Brook
Nova Scotia, B0N 1W0
DEADLINE: February 24, 2019